5 Reasons why you should eat Food High in Fiber
Fiber is one of the most important nutrients that should be part of your daily meal. The presence of food high in fiber is the first criteria you must fulfill for your meal to be even considered a balanced one. Fiber is present in homemade food abundantly, that is why many people say that there are so many benefits of homemade food. But fiber itself as a nutrient cannot be digested by the human body.
This is where things get interesting. Why is a nutrient that cannot be absorbed by the human body an important part of an entire weight loss program? If you understand a TV show analogy, *spoilers ahead*
Fiber is like Berlin from the hit Netflix series, Money Heist. It is a nutrient that creates a barrier to prevent the body from absorbing excessive amounts of glucose. It is normal for glucose in the blood level to rise after a meal which is vital for proper digestion. But as we all know, anything in excess is bad, so excess glucose in the blood level will prompt the body to secrete more insulin than what is needed which in turn causes the body to store fat rather than using it for energy between meals. This leads to improper weight gain.
But if your meal includes food high in fiber *coughs* Berlin, then this nutrient lays itself in the firing line and prevents the excess glucose from entering the bloodstream thus preventing that sudden spike in insulin secretion and the body starts using fat as energy instead of storing it. Thus saving your body from Type – 2 Diabetes.
Types of fibers
Fibers present in plants are also called as dietary fiber. There are essentially two main types of fibers which may vary in the amounts present in different plants. Some plants even contain only one of the two fibers. But food high in fiber contains both. The two types are:
1. Soluble Fiber: This type of fiber dissolves in water and forms sort of a gel which helps improve digestion. It helps in lowering fat storage in the body and naturally helps in weight management. It also lowers cholesterol and stabilizes sugar levels in the blood.
2. Insoluble Fiber: This fiber helps prevent constipation. It improves the processing of waste, improves bowel cycles and makes it easier to pass through the intestines for your stool.
For more in depth differences between these two types of fibers. Refer to his article here.
Now let’s find out why you should always eat food high in fiber. Here are 5 reasons why:
Reasons why you should eat Food High in Fiber
1. Helps in weight management: Since the fiber acts as a shield that prevents excess glucose/ sugar from entering the blood stream, there is no excessive insulin secretion which does not prevent the body from using the fat as a source of energy. Thus, burning more fat which in turn leads to proper weight management. It may even lead to weight loss when coupled with a proper workout routine.
2. Prevents Diabetes and Heart diseases: The soluble fiber latches itself onto cholesterol particles (like a creepy possessive girlfriend) and takes them out of the body which in turn reduces the cholesterol levels. This helps in protecting the heart. Since the fibers also don’t allow sugar levels in the blood to rise, thus protecting you from diabetes.
3. Improves Digestive Health: Fibers help increase metabolism and improves the waste processing of the body. It also helps improve bowel movements and makes it easier for the stool to pass through the intestines. It also helps prevent gastrointestinal blockage and constipation.
4. Prevents Colorectal cancer: As foods high in fiber improves the digestive health, it prevents constipation which leads to good regular bowel movements. In this process, it also prevents hemorrhoids in the colon and naturally reduces the risk of colorectal cancer as well.
5. Helps people who are prone to overeating: The soluble fibers slow down the digestive process which means that you would feel full faster and in turn will prevent you from overeating. Although this may not be the cure to stop overeating in the long run, this helps in the short term so you can find a long-term solution and not hurt yourself and your body in the process.
Now you know how fibers are essential to your body. If you consume restaurant food and other processed food on a regular basis then you may not be getting enough fibers in your body as the restaurants and food processing kills or eliminates these fibers.
Start cooking your own meals and if you do not have time to do so, then look for any local homemade food delivery service so that they can take care of your meals on a regular basis. If you are thinking of choosing a service, here are 7 things to consider before choosing a homemade food delivery service.
If you are from Chennai, then consider us for your home-cooked food needs. Velshee Kitchens is the best homemade food delivery service. Check out our menu here and do order for you and your family. You can also place your order via call at +91 73584 49172